Selling Selling Faded Faded Dress Casual Glory qfSq7F
GRAMMAR: The difference between HOWEVER and NEVERTHELESS?
Many students (and native speakers!) have problems knowing when to use however and nevertheless.
We use however and nevertheless to show contrast in a sentence. Usually, the first half of a sentence contrasts (opposes) the second half.
Glory Faded Dress Selling Casual Selling Faded Look at these two examples:
- I already knew a lot about the subject; however, his presentation was still interesting.
- I knew a lot about the subject already, but his presentation was interesting nevertheless.
Notice how the second half of each sentence presents something unexpected? Can you see a contrast from the first part of the sentence? Both these sentences highlight a contrast, they mean 'despite this' or 'despite what has just been stated'.
Here's the main difference between the two words: nevertheless is a little more formal and emphatic (e.g., surprising) than however. Nevertheless is also not used as often as however.
Study these examples to see how the words are used:
- I'm a vegetarian. However, sometimes I eat fish.
- This is one solution to the problem. However, there are a number of others.
- We asked for donations. However, all we received were complaints.
- Milos said his English is terrible. NeverthelessBoutique Dear John Dressy Boutique Shorts Dear 1SpZrx1wq, he got a 9.0 on his IELTS Writing test.
- Many know that too much sugar is bad for health. Nevertheless, many continue to eat a lot of it every day.
- There are several serious problems with the car. Nevertheless, we will have to use it to drive to work this week.